Purdue University Extension and the American Sheep Industry Association are sponsoring a sheep tour and seminar on June 15, 2019. It will be an all day event beginning at the Akron, Indiana Tippecanoe Valley High School. The tour and seminar will feature the National Sheep Improvement Program. Information and registration forms can found at http://indianasheep.com.
Practical Skills with Sheep & Goats
September 21, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Eaton County Fairgrounds, 1025 Cochran Ave, Charlotte MI
- This workshop is geared toward sheep and goat owners who want to learn and/or improve practical skills in managing their animals.
- MSU Extension experts will present information regarding a variety of practices commonly required on a sheep or goat farm, then participants will have the opportunity to practice the skills discussed.
- Practices and skills covered: hoof health and trimming skills, handling, individual and flock/herd health assessment, administering health care including drenches and injections, shearing and wool handling, udder health, basics of nutrition including forage quality, and nutritional supplementation (concentrates, minerals/vitamins)
Nutrition Workshop for Sheep & Goats
November 2, 2019 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Anthony Hall, Michigan State University, 474 S. Shaw Ln, East Lansing MI
- This workshop will provide a comprehensive approach to nutrition and feeding for both small and large operations.
- Topics to include: nutritional requirements, precision feeding, preventing nutritional disorders, mineral and vitamin supplementation, ration balancing, forage budgeting
- Stay tuned for more details!